Meghan Markle is under fire for her performance at Wimbledon last week after a new claim that spectators were asked not to take her photo.
Consulting the media Sally Jones, who was in the same row as the Duchess of Sussex when she was supporting Serena Williams from the stands, told the British Daily Telegraph that she had been instructed by a royal protector not to take pictures of Meghan, 37, while she attended the “personal title” tennis tournament.
“I told him it was craziness, and even if I tried to break the Duchess, I had a blurry image of her right ear,” Jones told the outlet, calling the test “another example of foolish control.”
Jones also believed that the officer was “pretty embarrassed” by the alleged claim, and noted, “He seemed a little perplexed as to why he was asked to make such a request.”
“Apart from everything else, there were hundreds of people clicking away. I said to him; have you thought about saying a word with one of those television cameras? He seemed a bit uncomfortable,” Jones said.
However, according to an insider of the palace, a ban on images is not really unheard of.
“It is not uncommon for people who accompany members of the royal family at private or public events to ask people not to take pictures. It is intended to enable members of the royal family to participate in people and events,” said the source.
Meghan and husband Prince Harry’s quest for privacy has become a controversial topic in recent months, particularly after the birth of their 2-month-old son Archie.
On Saturday the proud parents organized a private baptism for their only child, and later two pictures of the intimate event. They didn’t tell who Archie’s godparents are.