LONDON – Meghan Markle has broken a four-decades tradition by shunning London hospital, where many royal babies, including her husband, the British prince Harry, were born, The Sun newspaper reported on Sunday.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, who married last year, are expecting their first child in April. But the former actress has chosen not to give birth to the Lindo wing of St. Mary’s Hospital in London, favored by the British royal family since 1978, the newspaper said, referring to an unidentified source.
Markle, 37, has chosen a maternity clinic closer to their new home in Windsor’s old town, The Sun said under the headline “Meghan sniffs Kate & Di Hospital.”
“The child will not be born in the Lindo,” the newspaper quoted the source as saying.
“She and Harry have decided that instead of going to a place as public as the Lindo, they will allow Meghan to recover somewhere more private,” the source said.
Kensington Palace could not be reached immediately for comment on the report.
The child becomes seventh in line with the British throne.