Travelers who went to Scotland got a big surprise when they saw the future king of England and his royal family step off the same flight.
People magazine reported on Thursday that astonished passengers saw the royal family of five depart from the economy FlyBe plane on its way from Norwich to Aberdeen. Prince William and his wife, Duchess of Cambridge Kate Middleton, were seen waiting for cars with their children – Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis – along with their old nanny Maria Teresa Turrion Borrallo, and headed for Balmoral, the summer retreat from Queen Elizabeth II.
William, 37, carried some of his bags with some help from George, 6, while Charlotte happily followed them.Kate Middleton, 37, carried Louis, 1, in her arms as she passed Borrallo.
“Earlier during the flight I had the feeling that someone had entered the plane that I had recognized – but I thought it was just a soccer player,” a passenger told The Sun. “We landed, and people saw two black Range Rovers on the asphalt.”
“Will, Kate and the children suddenly got up and left,” the passenger continued. “They weren’t bothered at all when they got off the plane. They just looked like a family traveling together, to be honest. Nobody even saw them boarding the plane. It was amazing how they did it – they must have slipped quietly after people had already sat down. “
The family trip comes only a few days after Meghan Markle and her husband, Prince Harry, were slammed by the British press for using private planes, despite their promise to fight global climate change.
The Daily Mail previously reported that Harry, 34, and Markle, Duchess of Sussex, 38, had four private flights in 11 days.
They reportedly flew on August 6 from Farnborough, UK, to Ibiza, Spain, and then back on August 12.
They flew from Farnborough to Nice, France, on August 14 to visit Elton John and then back to Farnborough on August 17.
The pair is supposed to have brought a Gulfstream 200 that can accommodate 19 people to Farnborough, and a Cessna 500 XL that can accommodate nine on their return trip.
John, 73, said he had paid for the private flights out of concerns about the safety of the Sussexes.
“I am deeply saddened by today’s distorted and malicious report in the press around the private residence of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex last week in my house in Nice,” he tweeted. “Prince Harry’s mother, Diana Princess Of Wales, was one of my dearest friends. I feel a deep sense of obligation to protect Harry and his family from the unnecessary press offense that contributed to the premature death of Diana. “
“After a hectic year in which they had continued their hard work and dedication to charity, David and I wanted the young family to have a private vacation in the safety and tranquility of our home,” he continued. “To maintain a high level of much-needed protection, we have offered them a private jet flight. To support Prince Harry’s commitment to the environment, we have ensured that their flight was CO2 neutral by making the right contribution deliver to Carbon Footprint ™. Respect and applaud both Harry and Meghan’s commitment to charity and I urge the press to stop these relentless and untrue murders on their character, which are falsified almost daily. “
Earlier this month, Prince Harry gave a barefoot speech at Google’s secret summit and said he and Duchess Meghan would have up to two children (including baby son Archie) to prevent environmental damage from climate change.
The palace did not comment on the trips.
Vanity Fair pointed out that Ibiza in particular was not an unusual choice for the former American actress. The outlet noted that Markle documented her trips to Ibiza on her old Instagram account. Vanity Fair also revealed that Harry had traveled to the Balearics several times in the 1980s when he was a child.