Prince William’s newly announced trip to New Zealand could coincide with family events
Prince Willem can be miles away when his younger brother becomes a father for the first time.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry will welcome their baby in the coming weeks – the Duchess of Sussex said earlier that she would be late April – but William has an important event to attend at the same time.
It was announced Wednesday that William, 36, will travel to New Zealand at the end of April to honor the victims of the terrorist attack on the Christchurch mosque. The trip will be made by order of the Queen and at the request of the Prime Minister of New Zealand, Jacinda Ardern.
“The duke will meet with those affected by the attack and pay tribute to the extraordinary compassion and solidarity shown by the people of New Zealand in recent weeks,” Kensington Palace said in the announcement.
Although the exact dates of the king’s visit have not been released, it could easily coincide with the long-awaited arrival of Baby Sussex.
William’s journey could also mean that he will be away on April 23 for the first birthday of his son, Prince Louis, especially if the royal plans are ahead of Anzac Day in New Zealand. The anniversary of the landing of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps in Gallipoli during the First World War is remembered on April 25.
Just two days after Prince Louis was born last year, William and Harry and Meghan attended the annual ANZAC day service of commemoration and Thanksgiving at Westminster Abbey. During the service, William was caught while having a difficult time keeping his eyes open for a few moments during the service. The royal family seemed to disappear from the road a few times and then woke up with countless flashes – the universal sign for a parent of a newborn!
In the wake of the mass-shooting tragedy in New Zealand that left 50 dead, Kensington Palace published a joint statement on behalf of Prince William, Kate Middleton, Prince Harry and Meghan, where the royal couples referred to the “senseless attacks” as a “Horrific attack in a way of life that embodies decency, community and friendship. “
“Our hearts go out to the families and friends of the people who died in the devastating attack in Christchurch,” began the long statement on Instagram, along with a photo of the New Zealand flag.
“We have all been lucky enough to spend time in Christchurch and have felt the warm, frank and generous spirit that is at the core of his remarkable people,” they wrote. “No one ever needs to be afraid to go to a holy place of worship.”
Meghan and Harry visited a surprise visit to the New Zealand home in London a few days after the attack to sign a letter of condolence for the victims.
Meghan wrote: “Our deepest condolences. We are with you.” Harry signed his name with “Arohanui,” which Maori means “best wishes.”
This will be Prince William’s sixth official visit to New Zealand, most recently his tour in 2014 with Kate and a young Prince George.