ET learns new details about Meghan Markle and the expected departure of Prince Harry from The Royal Foundation.
A royal source says that the future of charity, previously led by the couple, as well as Prince William and Kate Middleton, are discussed at a board meeting on Wednesday in London. The foundation is likely to split, with the two couples each having their own individual basis, the source says, adding that there are currently “ongoing discussions about disentangling finances.”
A possible reason for saying goodbye to ways is that William and Kate must be ready for “rule change,” the source explains, and suitable arrangements are made for that time.
The Royal Foundation was founded in 2011 by William, Kate and Harry. Meghan has embraced the foundation since she marries Harry and shows her support for the organization with public involvement from February 2018.
The split is expected to lead to a revitalized public debate about an alleged break between the two couples. However, the source says that the foursome has a better basis than in the past.
“We announced earlier this year that The Royal Foundation was reviewing its structures to support the best Royal Highnesses in their future roles and their new households,” a spokesperson for The Royal Foundation told ET on Tuesday. “Any announcement regarding the outcome of this assessment will be made in due course.”
The foundation’s statement comes soon after sources on page six have told that the foundation would announce the departure of Harry and Meghan on Wednesday after a board meeting.
ET has also learned that Meghan and Harry will not attend the Royal Ascot, Britain’s largest horse race, on June 22. There was some speculation that Meghan would reappear during her maternity leave. However, the duchess is expected to return to work at the end of the summer, the source says.
See more royal updates below.